Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

Murderous Menagerie: The Hounds of Skaith

I am Flay.

He was big. The ridge of his spine would have reached Stark's shoulder. His withers were high and powerful. The thick neck drooped with the weight of the massive head. Stark saw the eyes, large and unnaturally brilliant, the broad heavy muzzle, and the fangs, two white cruel rows of them sharp as knives.
Flay stretched out a foreleg like a tree-trunk and unsheathed tiger claws. He tore five furrows into the frozen ground and smiled, lolling a red tongue.

I am Flay.

The eye were bright. Bright. Hell-hound eyes.
Swift panic overcame Stark, loosened his muscles, weakened his joints, dropped him helpless on the ground with cold nausea in his belly and a silent scream in his brain.

I am Flay.

-- The Ginger Star, by Leigh Brackett





The Hounds of Skaith

Number Encountered: 2d4
Alignment: Neutral
Movement: 150' (50')
Armor Class: 6
Hit Dice: 4 + 1
Attacks: 1 (bite or fear)
Damage: 2d4 (bite)
Save: F2
Morale: 8
Hoard Class: None
XP: 300

Large grey pack predators which closely resemble dire wolves, the Northhounds stalk the arctic wastes of the frozen poles. They are capable hunters, tracking prey by scent and employing similar tactics to those of their cousins. What sets these powerful creatures apart from their cousins is their psychic abilities, allowing better coordination amongst the pack and the dreaded ability to strike their prey dumb with fear.

All Northhounds can communicate telepathically up to a range of 30', speaking in a simplified version of the common tongue. This is most often used amongst the pack, although they may also taunt prey before devouring them.

The fear ability of the Northhounds also has a range of 30' and may be used against any creature which may know terror. Victims of this ability must make a savings throw versus paralysis or collapse in absolute horror (75% chance), unable to move, or flee at top speed, dropping everything they are holding (25% chance). Only one victim may be targeted per round, with the fear effect lasting 1d6+2 rounds.

Creatures of less than one hit dice and men-at-arms are even more greatly effected by the fear ability of the Northhounds, requiring a save vs. death or suffer from a fatal heart attack. Success means that they are paralyzed, as above.

Having acclimated to the arctic plain, Northhounds do not adapt well to warmer climes. If a Northhound is forced to stay in subtropical or warmer climes, the creature will suffer from a -1 to attacks and saves, as well as a -2 to morale.

Greatly desired by Beast Masters, Northhound puppies will go for 1000 gp apiece. Some foolish Beast Masters will even attempt to control an entire pack by challenging the alpha male. While this is possible, a Northhound pack not bound to the Beast Master is much less predictable than usual, requiring a Morale roll every time he exposes his team to unnecessary risks, panics in the face of danger, or suffers a humiliating defeat. Should the Morale roll fail, the Beast Master will be challenged by a member of the pack for dominance. The consequence of losing such a contest is death, as the pack will rip their former master to shreds.

48 comments:

  1. Very cool. Any chance of some more Brackett monsters in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can count on it. In fact, I'm working on a Fallarin class for LL which should debut in the near future.

      Delete
  2. Very cool. The whole Skaith trilogy is full of wonderfull stuff like this - it is one of my favourite fantasy books. And the collected trilogy's appendix is the best brief world guide ever written.

    ReplyDelete

  3. spa manager  

    skin care

    learn eyelash extensions

    tattoo spray



    Class College Education training Beauty teaching university academy lesson  teacher master student  spa manager  skin care learn eyelash extensions tattoo spray

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poker Deposit Pulsa Xl Dan Tsel Minimal Deposit 100rb Pulsa Tanpa Potongan! Daftar Di Pokerwin88 Situs Poker Online Terbaik Dan Terpercaya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agen Judi Slot Terpercaya menyediakan deposit via pulsa tanpa potongan.

    Agen Slot Pulsa
    Slot Via Pulsa
    Agen Judi Slot Deposit Via Pulsa
    Agen Slot Terbaik
    Judi Slot Terbaru
    Slot Pulsa Telkomsel
    Slot Pulsa XL

    https://daftarslotpulsaa.blogspot.com/
    Silahkan hubungi WA berikut ini :
    WA : +62812-2222-995

    ReplyDelete
  6. While residing in North Richland Hills, we came across this serious problem that was costing the local resident a lot is the presence of wood destroying insects i.e. termites behind the beautiful woodwork of our houses and beneath the floor in the soil. It can differ depending upon the type of termites that are present in the house. Texinspec claims to be the best Home inspection services in North Richland Hills as they have the necessary skills and equipment to inspect a house thoroughly. They offer Termite Inspection Services in North Richland Hills Tx to give customers a thorough report about the condition of their house and how the infestation should be treated if present. The presence of wood destroying insects can get really so tricky so it is better to let an expert take care of this problem for you and give you a long lasting solution regarding this problem.




    ReplyDelete
  7. CrownQQ Agen DominoQQ BandarQ dan Domino99 Online Terbesar

    Yuk Buruan ikutan bermain di website CrownQQ
    Sekarang CROWNQQ Memiliki Game terbaru Dan Ternama loh...

    9 permainan :
    => Poker
    => Bandar Poker
    => Domino99
    => BandarQ
    => AduQ
    => Sakong
    => Capsa Susun
    => Bandar 66
    => Perang Baccarat (NEW GAME)

    => Bonus Refferal 20%
    => Bonus Turn Over 0,5%
    => Minimal Depo 20.000
    => Minimal WD 20.000
    => 100% Member Asli
    => Pelayanan DP & WD 24 jam
    => Livechat Kami 24 Jam Online
    => Bisa Dimainkan Di Hp Android
    => Di Layani Dengan 5 Bank Terbaik
    => 1 User ID 9 Permainan Menarik
    => Menyediakan deposit Via Pulsa

    Link Resmi CrownQQ:
    - jpcrownqq.com
    - jpcrownqq.net
    - jpcrownqq.org

    Info Lebih lanjut Kunjungi :
    Website : DominoQQ Online
    Daftar CrownQQ : Poker Online
    Info CrownQQ : Kontakk
    Linktree : Agen Poker Online

    WHATSAPP : +6287771354805
    Line : CS_CROWNQQ
    Facebook : CrownQQ Official
    Kemenangan CrownQQ : Agen BandarQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. CrownQQ Agen DominoQQ BandarQ dan Domino99 Online Terbesar

    Yuk Buruan ikutan bermain di website CrownQQ
    Sekarang CROWNQQ Memiliki Game terbaru Dan Ternama loh...

    10 permainan :
    => Poker
    => Bandar Poker
    => Domino99
    => BandarQ
    => AduQ
    => Sakong
    => Capsa Susun
    => Bandar 66
    => Perang Baccarat
    => Perang Dadu

    Keunggulan bermain di CrownQQ :
    => Bonus Refferal 20%
    => Bonus Turn Over 0,5%
    => Minimal Depo 20.000
    => Minimal WD 20.000
    => 100% Member Asli
    => Pelayanan DP & WD 24 jam
    => Livechat Kami 24 Jam Online
    => Bisa Dimainkan Di Hp Android
    => Di Layani Dengan 5 Bank Terbaik
    => 1 User ID 10 Permainan Menarik
    => Menyediakan deposit Via Pulsa

    Link Resmi CrownQQ:
    - maincrownqq.com
    - maincrownqq.net
    - maincrownqq.org

    Info Lebih lanjut Kunjungi :
    Website : DominoQQ Online
    Daftar CrownQQ : Poker Online
    Info CrownQQ : Kontakk
    Linktree : Agen Poker Online

    WHATSAPP : +6287771354805
    Line : CS_CROWNQQ
    Facebook : CrownQQ Official
    Kemenangan CrownQQ : Agen BandarQ

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...